Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Psalm 20 and Falling Upward by Richard Rohr


The verses that attract my attention in this Psalm are 7 and 8.

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright.


I think that "the name" of God embodies His attributes and character.  When we learn to rely on Him we will not fall.  How great is that?


I read (actually - browsed is more accurate)  Richard Rohr's Falling Upward : A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life.  Holly and I are in the midst of considering what our lives after UPS will look like.  This was a book that had been recommended. Rohr is a Franciscan priest from New Mexico and is a celebrated writer and speaker.  He is clearly very bright and extremely well read but I had a hard time getting past what I perceived as a strong bent toward universalism.  By that, I mean that his concept of spiritual maturity embraced all religions.  There is a strong presence of scripture in his work but also eastern mysticism and Greek philosophy.  One of the premises is that failure is a necessary part of growth.  Thus, the title, "Falling Upward".  This is reminiscent of Brene Brown's work, which I like much more.  I don't recommend this book, although to be fair, I didn't read it carefully.  Also, it is important to learn from those of a different view so maybe I should try again with an approach to find the good.

Kindly Bookmark this Post using your favorite Bookmarking service:
Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble Facebook Twitter
YOUR ADSENSE CODE GOES HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My Photo
Solar 4 All of Us
View my complete profile

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

| Lighthouse © 2009. All Rights Reserved | Template Style by My Blogger Tricks .com | Design by Brian Gardner | Back To Top |